Thursday, March 6, 2014

Quando le sere al placido – Luisa Miller



Oh! I wish I could deny my own eyes!
If heaven and earth, if mortals and angels
Were to swear to me that she is not guilty...
Lies! I should answer,
All lies...this is her hand!
So much treachery!  A black soul!
A liar! Well my father knew her!
But all the promises, the hopes, the joy,
the tears, the anguish?
Everything is a lie, betrayal, deception!

When in the evenings in the calm
Pale light of a starry sky
She gazed with me into the heavens
With a look of love,
And I felt this hand pressed
By her hand...

Ah! She betrayed me!
I was mute, ecstatic,
Hanging from her lips.
When she said in angelic tones
‘I love only you’,
It seemed like the world
Opened to my soul!

Placido Domingo sings the famous tenor aria from Verdi's Luisa Miller.

Covent Garden, 1979.

No comments:

Post a Comment