Monday, February 11, 2013

Ave Signor - Mefistofele



Hail Lord.
Pardon me if my gibberish
Is not quite up to par with
The supreme hymns of paradise;
Pardon me if my face
Doesn’t carry the beam
That garlands the ringlets
Of high cherubim;
Pardon me if in speaking
I run the risk of  
Being irreverent!

The God of the sweet little earth
Descends and wanders evermore,
And, like the cricket
Jumps, at random
Pushing his nose between the stars.
Then with superbly tenacious folly
Trills in the grass.
Arrogant dust! Haughty atom!
The phantom of man
Which makes
That inebriated illusion
That he calls: Reason, Reason.
Ah! Yes, Divine Master,
In utter darkness
The lord of the world degenerates,
And I have no heart left,
It is so weakened,
Than to tempt him to evil.

Up and coming star Ildebrando d'Arcangelo surprisingly sings the bass part of Mefistofele from Boito's opera.

Ravenna, 2005. Conductor: Riccardo Muti.

No comments:

Post a Comment